Monday, February 8, 2010

Superbowl Sunday-- African Style


7 February 2010

 Happy Superbowl Sunday!

While everyone back home was sleeping and preparing for our national football holiday, I was on a quick safari of Tala Game Reserve.



Jealous?


It even included a gourmet buffet.

Now I know you’re jealous.



Tala Game Reserve is about 70km outside of Pietermaritzburg. It’s a small reserve so, unfortunately, does not have the Big 5 (only wildebeests). Nonetheless, the experience was awesome. It was about 37C (100F) and we cruised around in a giant truck stopping every time we saw cool animals so our guide could tell us about them. Because it was a short tour, we did not see the white rhino that lives in the reserve (and sorry lil sister, no elephants). But not to worry, by the time I leave Africa, I will have seen it all!


I know, I know, you all have chips and dips, beers and sodas, and Saints vs. Colts.



But I had water monitors eating dead impala, 2,000 pound hippos keeping cool in a dam, and wildebeests grazing under the African sun.





So you have giant padded men tackling each other?

Well I had twenty foot tall giraffe strolling 5 meters away from our truck.





You painted your face in favorite teams colors?

The zebra had stripes that would put your body art to shame!




You had big foam fingers?

We had cactus that if you get their white liquid in your eyes, you’ll instantly go blind. And if you sallow the milky liquid, you’ll die.


You drank yourself silly and ate 5 hotdogs?


We had a gourmet buffet complete with braai, oxtails, a whole fish, oysters, salads up the wazoo, pavlova, ice cream, milk tarts, and sticky toffee pudding.


Dare I continue?


On another note, my laptop finally has internet access! Thank goodness! But I have to bring it to the lan or library to use it. And I finally am cleared of 'alien' status so my registration is official. 


1 comment:

  1. These are incredible photos! Did you take them all (except the one you're in)? Bravo!

    ReplyDelete