Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Into the Drakensburg Mountains

Zulu legend has it that if you walk up a certain densly forested mountain, you will not come out alive. The locals swear mythical creatures live in the dark green, ominous forest and people who attempt to get from the bottom of the mountain to the top are unable to make the journey.

No I didn't do this. But maybe another time.

I saw South Africa yesterday. Yes, I know, I have been here for a week and seen Pietermaritzburg and part of Durban but the trips haven't been to the Africa I had intended to see. They had been to busy city centers and crowded tourist beaches.

Yesterday I was able to trek into the mountains and see the vibrant white clouds and the enormous ragid ridges of the Drakensburg mountains.

My friends met a couple locals who offered to show us around the mountains and take us to a braai, or bbq. Therefore, we crammed 7 of us into a Mazda coup are traveled the 100km to the town of Underberg, which is west of Pietermaritzburg. The drive was beautiful! There land was blanketed with brilliant green pastures that weaved their ways through the foothills. Cows and goats roamed the highway searching for delectible grasses and we drove past women precariously balancing groceries on their heads.

Underberg was quaint and busseling with life. We stoped at the butchery and bought 200rand worth of meats. This equated to 4 steaks, 2 tbones, 3 ft of sausage, and a pound of bacon. For 6 of us to share. We seasoned the meats with bbq spices and grilled them to perfection. The grill was located on the side of the butchery and 3 or 4 other groups happily grilled alongside of us.

It was an amazing experience. Everyone eating and chatting. Licking our fingers and using bread to sop up the left over juices. The sweet, smokey aroma of various meats (ranging from tripe to liver to sausage) filled the air as we sat enjoying our bounty.

I will come out and say it. I don't like meat. I don't enjoy the chewy rubbery texture of overcooked steak. I don't enjoy the fatty greasiness of bacon but this was different. The bacon was crisp where it needed to be and soft and spicy where it needed to be. The sausage was juicy and peppery and was an explosion of flavor in my mouth. The steak was buttery and every morsel melted in my mouth.

This was the first time I had experienced good food in South Africa and I'm hooked. I was with 5 other guys and I'm fairly certain I out ate all of them!

After the braai we traveled 25km to a waterfall. Lelo, one of the locals showing us around, told us it was a 15meter (45ft) waterfall and that we were going to jump off of it. We walked a well beaten path to the fall and could hear pounding water from a mile out. We arrived at the spot and immediately Lelo jumped in! We all watched awe struck- did he really just do that? Are we really supposed to do that? Mike went next; a little more timid than Lelo but he jumped.

I had to do it. I mean I'm in Africa! Why not jump off a waterfall? I stripped down to my bathing suit and looked over the edge and the awesome crashing of water. I'm jumping into this? My legs were jello. My heart was racing. We're doing it. Melanie promised if I did it she would too. So I had to.
3
2
1
I'm off! Plunging into the dark blue water; aiming for the spot were the white water ends. My feet hit and I go under, the water pushes me around and then I pop up as the current carries me down steam. I look up to where I jumped from and laughed! That was by far the highest thing I have ever jumped from! After about 10 minutes of contemplation Melanie jumped in what can only be described as a graceful leap only to end in her landing on her rear.
3 of the boys didn't do it. Understandable but we promised them we have to come back and try again.
The hike out was straight up a rock face. I felt like I should have had a harness on because it was problably more difficult than some rock climbing problems I've done (well maybe like a 5.6) but still.

Best day, thus far, I have had in Africa! I can't wait to see what else is in store for me!!
Love you all and miss you so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment