Friday, March 5, 2010

Protests

I’m skipping classes today. I’m a horrible student, I know.

Actually, this isn’t my choice; I was planning on going to classes, especially since I have a 3 hour practical today. The problem is that UKZN is having a protest today. A protest of what, this link will give you the rundown.

I went to the computer lan around 0800 to work on some assignments. As I walked over to the lan, located on Old Main campus, I noticed students congregating on the grass, surrounded by Risk Management Services, in front of the Old Clocktower Building. It was a small group so I didn’t think anything of it. Around 1000, my friend sent me a SMS stating that I shouldn’t go to class or be in major campus buildings because the protest was going to get violent. Protests by the ANC or the young communist league are conducted here everywhere and usually last a few days. The first day is fairly calm and then they usually escalate to levels where classrooms are stormed, tables are thrown, and two years ago, the police used rubber bullets to ward off the mob of protestors. So, I quickly decided to get off of campus in order to avoid being part of the fiasco, and detoured only to ask my instructor if I could make up the prac. Her only advice to me was stay away from the protest, which I am happily doing.

As I walked off campus to meet up with the girls at the bakery, down the street from campus, I began to notice the numerous police cars stationed around campus. Here is where it becomes interesting. Some of the girls had class this morning on New Arts and were quickly told to evacuate. Apparently, there was a bomb threat and students were becoming a bit rowdy and were using pepper spray and tear gas in some of the classrooms. RMS was there sorting it out and turning students away from New Arts campus so hopefully its under control by now. Chemistry, agriculture, and a few other lectures also had incidents of paper spray and a few of my friends, who are locals, got nailed pretty badly. Although a number of classes have been cancelled and a number of students refused to go to school today, the overall atmosphere of the campus is fairly at ease. As my lecturer said when I told her I was advised to miss class, they are used to this here; ordeals like this are a normal occurrence. Can you imagine?

I know Berkeley had an incident last week that turned a little violent, and my freshman year at Santa Barbara our anti-war demonstration turned into a disrespectful crashing of a meeting between military officials and UC leaders, however I’ve never been anywhere where I’ve actually felt afraid for my life.

I don’t understand the need for violent protests. I am all for peaceful protests and using public demonstrations to express injustices and displeasures, however, when they turn aggressive I feel that it sends the wrong message. For me, I’m not going to respect people who are causing harm to others or property. It sends the wrong message because it’s almost inviting the other side to fight back which only angers more people. Communication, speech, is so much more powerful than violence. It shows that the protestors are educated, they understand what they are fighting for, or against, and they are willing to settle their differences with the other side in an orderly and civilized manner.

It’s disheartening for me to hear about public protests that end in violence. It’s a sign that we are failing as a society resolve our differences through respect for each other. Hasn’t history taught us anything? Hasn’t this current military action show us nothing? Nothing gets resolved by violence. The issues will still persist; they just become covered up by the fact that one side will always have bigger and more powerful weapons. I want to believe that humans are innately good; I want to believe that peace is possible. However, things like today’s protest and the protest last week in Berkeley only work to remind me how uncivilized and destructive humans are.

Maybe, the protest of the UCs will be better. I guess I’ll find soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment